KDE address a world wide audience and is therefore fully localized. Localization means to adopt language, text layout, numerals as well as cultural aspects and regulatory compliance.
- Provide bidirectional mode dependent to language (left-to-right vs. right-to-left).
- Make sure your GUI displays correctly in languages written from right-to-left
- Allow translation with [http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/html_mono/gettext.html#Plural-forms| multiple plural forms].
- Design GUI with enough room for long captions.
- Respect system-wide locale settings (unit systems, date and time format, currencies etc.).
- Take cultural comprehension of icons (Red Cross vs. Red Crescent) into account.
- Do not localize standard short-cuts.
- Be aware of intercultural (mis-)comprehension of acronyms.